Race Report: 2013 runDisney The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Expo
This was my first experience to the 2013 runDisney The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Weekend. I have to say, I was impressed. This is a great learning experience for the runDisney beginner. It is a less crowded runDisney race. And although a shorter distance race, but it still has all the elements of a runDisney event: Expo, Kids Races, 5K, and the main event – the 10 Miler.
But what is really important to a runDisney fan and a new runner is The Expo! The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Expo was held at the ESPN Zone Wide World of Sports. It was a little smaller than all the other runDisney events I have participated in, but that’s what made it more fun! Less crowds equal less anxiety in the air and the ability to take your time and NOT GRAB LIKE A BUFFOON (see Disneyland Half Marathon Expo 2013).
The runDisney merchandise was stationed right up in front of the expo floor and was prominently displayed. The checkout line was long, but moved fast and it was orderly.
Two cool things to note were I used my Disney Vacation Club Membership to earn a 10% Discount on all runDisney Official Merchandise and I also used my MagicBand to pay for my official runDisney purchases!
I bought a new Run Bow Running Skirt for the Chicago Marathon, another Sweaty Bands Daisy Chain in pink and two Sparkle Visors (Gunmetal & Pink Tiara from Sparkle Athletic!
My Tips for Surviving The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror runDisney Expo:
- Make a Shopping List: I wrote down my list prior to arrival. I had a budget and I only purchased what I “needed.”
- Remember Your Annual Pass and Disney Vacation Club Member Cards: Discounts might be offered on official runDisney Merchandise and it doesn’t hurt to ask.
- Don’t Bring a Stroller: Please note that a FLORIDA runDisney expo does not allow strollers in the expo. I know. I don’t want to discuss it. Those are the runDisney rules.
- Prepare Yourself for Discounts & Incentives: I almost lost my mind when Running Skirts told me that they were offering a 30% expo special. Hold strong to your budget or loose your mind!
- Shop at a Less Busy Time: Go at an off-time an enjoy the experience. This seems to be a more local event and got there at 1pm rather than after 5pm. The expo was not crowded and we had front row parking! This would never happen in January.