Congratulations! You Are Running the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon!
I firmly believe that there is nothing quite like the Walt Disney World Marathon. Maybe it’s the fireworks at every corral start or the abundance of character stops. Or maybe it’s running through Cinderella Castle or riding Expedition Everest during the running of the marathon. Or maybe it’s just all of the above!
Whatever the magic may be, get ready because you are about to runDisney’s Walt Disney World Marathon!
2014 will be my 6th running of the Walt Disney World Marathon and here are some of my personal tips to help you make the most of those magical 26.2 miles:
- Early to Bed, Early to Rise! Unfortunately there’s a new rule that we must all enter the corrals via Epcot’s Explore Parking lot or be disqualified. This means we should be on the bus no later than 4am – so plan on going to bed early and getting up even earlier! Remember to budget enough time to use the porta-potties and walk the mile to your corral! TIP – carry your breakfast with you and bring something to sit on while waiting! I save the Mylar blankets from previous races and use those to sit on and to keep warm.
- Bring Your Camera or at Least Your Smile! Marathonfoto is the official course photographer of the WDW Marathon. Discount packages can be purchased prior to the race at the Expo or via an email offer you should have already received (check your junk). Make sure your bib is visible to the photographers and SMILE! Also, remember to bring your camera or phone to take photos while on course! Be sure to pose in front of Cinderella Castle – it only takes a second! Another tip – bring a Ziplock baggie to protect your phone and camera in case of rain showers, but more likely – sweat!
- Watch Your Footing! Pay attention when you run up Main Street USA. There are trolley tracks in the middle of the street so be careful and watch your footing. Be aware and stay to your right. The course can get congested in the parks so pay attention to those around you and if using the run/walk/run method, please signal to those around you by raising your hand.
- Be Prepared! Remember to wear Chapstick, sunblock and Glide! It can get pretty sunny; you might also want to bring sunglasses!
- You’re Finished – Now What? Once you are through the finish line remember that there are multiple people awarding medals so there’s no need to cluster. Pick up your water and PowerAde and then pose for your Marathon photo – again there are plenty of lines so don’t automatically go to the first line you see. Remember to pick up your runDisney Snack Box, banana and fruit snacks! If you need ice or medical attention ask for it immediately. Someone will come to your aid – just ask a volunteer – they will come to you and direct you were you need to go.
- Plan your recovery. Book a massage at the new Senses Spa at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort or Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort at 407-939-7727 or use the marathon massage tent! Massages are only a $1 a minute and are well worth the money! Cash only so make sure you have it on your person. When completing the Goofy (now Dopey) Challenge I get a $10 massage on Saturday and a $20 massage on Sunday. I feel that it does wonders for my recovery!
- Celebrate Your Accomplishment! Have you booked your celebration meal yet? Now’s the time to call 407-WDW-Dine! Remember to also wear your medals when you are out and about that night and even the next few days – especially if you are staying in Walt Disney World!
What are some of your favorite Walt Disney World Marathon tips to share?